Denton County African American Museum
The museum is a 600-square-foot house that has sheltered many families over the decades in Quakertown, an African American community in Denton. The house was built in 1904 in Quakertown and moved to Southeast Denton in 1922. The Historical Park Foundation of Denton County, Inc. bought the house in 2003.
The completely refurbished house now houses the Dr. Edwin D. Moten collection. Moten was Denton’s first African American doctor. Historical photos and documents comprise the rest of the collection in the new museum located next to the Bayless-Selby House Museum as part of the Denton County Museums. In 1875 families in Dallas County moved to Denton. They built a community from logs harvested from nearby woods. The new community was called Freedom Town, and eventually became part of a larger community known as Quakertown. There were three churches, a mortuary, a doctor, lodges, restaurants and other businesses.
Read the entire article at Courier-Gazette