Jacksonville’s first black policemen honored
The pioneering work of six Jacksonville policemen – the first of their race allowed to don the uniform since the Reconstruction era – was honored January 16 with the unveiling of a bronze marker.It will be erected near where the old Jacksonville Police Department’s “Colored Division” was based at a substation in the former Blodgett Homes Housing Project on Davis Street.
Hired in 1950 were Henry Harley, Edward Hickson Sr., Alvin James, Beamon W. Kendall, Marion Massey and Charlie Sea. They are all deceased now, but their families were joined at the event by those for whom the six opened doors.
Read more at Jacksonville.com